Friday, September 02, 2016

Local sampler history - part 1

Earlier in the year I purchased  'New Zealand's Historic Samplers' by Vivien Caughley .  I had borrowed the book from the library several times, so figured I must quite like it so I may as well just buy my own copy.  :-)

I was surprised that there were so many samplers stitched in New Zealand.  The few samplers I have seen in person all have their origins overseas.

As I was reading the book one sampler in particular caught my eye because it was fairly local to me. It was stitched by a young girl called Jane Tonks (age 8).  Unfortunately, she died aged 22 in 1867 and is buried in Bolton Street Cemetery in Wellington.

I am quite familiar with the cemetery, as it forms part of the botanical gardens which Annabelle and I frequent.  I particularly like to visit the cemetery at this time of year because I love to see the spring bulbs blooming amongst the historic graves.

Anyway, back in March Annabelle and I headed out on a little mission to see if we could find the grave of Jane Tonks.  We had to veer off the main path a little but eventually found her headstone.






Unfortunately, the headstone does not mark the grave of Jane Tonks.  Her remains were disinterred from her original resting place in the 1960s to make way for the construction of the motorway.  Jane's remains now lie on the other side of the motorway in another part of the cemetery, along with the graves of many others.



A little while later I was again reading the book and found an even more local to me connection.  I will save that for the next post.

5 comments:

Kaisievic said...

How fascinating! I love searching old cemeteries.

Barb said...

I love history and find this post so interesting. With our Fall coming, it is so funny to think that you are now getting close to our Spring!!

Maggie said...

It's great that you were able to find her headstone, i wonder what she
would think about her sampler being featured in a book all these years later?

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Very interesting Rowyn. By the way, I love your blog header piece.

Brigitte said...

So interesting to read about Jane Tonks.