Wednesday, July 22, 2015

July musings

Woah, hang onto your seats it's another update from me :-)

First of all, my apologies to those of you I still owe emails to.  So much has happened in the last four weeks.  We've moved house, Annabelle had a nasty virus for 10 days, we went away for a long weekend, we celebrated a birthday and welcomed a new furry family member to the clan!

The house move went well.  To our surprise Annabelle settled right in straight away with no problems.  Mum (i.e. me) not so much.  It's starting to feel more like home now though.

My baby turned TWO!  Here's a cute snap I took of Annabelle a few days before her birthday, with her cousin Phoebe (now 6 years old).  I am still in disbelief, it seems no length of time since these two gorgeous girls were both babies!  That poem about babies not keeping is so very true.




















Last Saturday we threw Annabelle a little birthday party.  I decided to make the cakes from an idea I saw on Pinterest.  Rose shaped icing with edible butterflies.  The icing may look a little more like camellias, but I was fairly pleased with my first cake decorating efforts.  Annabelle had a fantastic time with lots of extra people to chase her around.



















My Mum who volunteers at animal rescue was telling me about a beautiful ragdoll kitten that had been surrendered last week.  I didn't think much more of it (she tells us stories about lots of animals) and I was certainly not looking for any more pets.  Then she rang up one night and suggest we come and have a look at it, and she'd adopt it for Annabelle if we agreed.  So we went on Sunday for a look at her and she ended up coming home with us.  Things have gone well so far, so she's here to stay.  Her name was Daisy but as we already have a cat called Petal, I wasn't keen on any more flower related names.  Annabelle kept calling her Beanie (the name of my sisters cat) so we chose something similar - Bindi.  She's nearly six months old, and is very affectionate and laid back.  I love her blue eyes and silky coat.



















Earlier in the year I had fallen in love with this little kitten my Mum was fostering.  Her name was Louise and I was working on my husband as I was keen to adopt her.  Sadly, it wasn't to be though as she passed away quite suddenly for an unknown reason.  I was very sad, I think she'd have been full of character!



















On to happier things.  For those of you interested in my other antique samplers I mentioned in my previous post, here's the second one I purchased.  It's Olive Smith 1831.

The verse says 'There is beyond the sky, A heaven of joy and love, And holy children when they die, Go to that world above.  Olive Smith 1831'.






















I will save the third one for another post, so I have something to share (as I haven't managed any stitching since the house move!).

12 comments:

stitchersanon said...

They do grow up far too fast! The cake looks amazing and I'm sure it was much loved. The kitten is probably relieve to have a safe and happy home.

Hazel said...

Lovely update. Kids grow so fast but that's a lovely photo. The cake looks yummy. I saw one similar in Pinterest and it was an ombré lemonade cake. Our rag doll passed away 6 months ago and our other cat got knocked down last week!! So sad but we have two new kittens now.

Vickie said...

Oh Bindi is gorgeous! Congratulations on your new home.

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday, Annabelle! The cake you made looks too gorgeous to cut into! Nice job!

Bindi looks like a very sweet cat. Glad you are settling in to your new home!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your new girl Bindi is just gorgeous. I love her blue eyes, she makes me want to reach out and stroke her gorgeous fur. I hope you start to enjoy your new home more and more each day.

Von said...

What a lovely update, Rowyn! Your girls are beautiful, and they do grow up way too fast! I know you're treasuring each day with them. :)

Barb said...

Adorable little girls! Time does fly! What a nice old sampler.

Marie said...

Your cake decorating is impressive. Happy birthday to the birthday girl.

Such a pretty cat and such beautiful eyes. Sorry that the little kitten passed away. :-(

Love the sampler.

Sally said...

Wow where did those two years go?! I haven't visited your blog for a while. Annabelle is so sweet. Love her birthday cake!

Your new kitty is so sweet. Love those eyes.

Carol said...

Oh, my gosh--I can't believe she is two already!! What a lovely daughter you have, Rowyn! I'm so glad the move went well and a new kitty has found a loving home... She is just so sweet with those big blue eyes :)

Brigitte said...

So nice to read another update from you. Good that moving house went so well and that Annabelle was setttling in so smoothly. And I'm sure that meanwhile the rest of you are also feeling like home there.

Such a great cake that you made for Annabelle's birthday. And wonderful family pictures. Also of your new family member :)

Annette-California said...

OH My goodness! Since I've last visited you (too long ago on your blog), you've had many new adventures....LOVE your gorgeous rose cakes - WOW!!! thought those for sure came from a bakery but they are waaay prettier! Hope all great & you and your family are having the best times! love Annette