Friday, March 13, 2015

High praise

Today I got out my Growing Like a Tree sampler (it's a Moira Blackburn design). I gave it an iron to see if I could reinspire myself to get this beauty finished. I plan to put a few stitches in this weekend. As you can see I really am on the homestretch, you would think I would just get it done!



Just after I ironed it a certain little lady woke up from a nap. She was very curious. So I laid it out over the footstool for her to look at, and she ran her hands over it and went 'Wow!'. I took that as very high praise :-)



I found this photo of my niece Phoebe's annual Christmas ornament this evening. I forgot to share it on my blog last year. I'm not as happy with it as others I've made in years gone by, but I still quite like it. It's on perforated paper and had a charm and some tassles that needed to be made.



Some of you may recall that last year my DH and I had close encounters with lions and cheetahs, and that we were supposed to meet the giraffes that day too (however, it was a cold day and the giraffes couldn't be enticed out of their heated enclosure). Well, we finally met them a few weeks ago. We didn't think it would be as exciting as meeting big cats, but wow when you are standing at ground level and they walk towards you, you really appreciate how tall and magnificent they are. Even this photo doesn't capture their height or presence. It was an awesome 30 minutes!



I hope you have a fabulous and stitchy weekend!


13 comments:

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Rowyn, a Moira Blackburn sampler. I hope that you can get yourself motivated to finish it. It is looking so so beautiful already.
Nice little ornament you made for your niece.

CJ said...

The sampler is beautiful. YOur so close to finishing.

CJ

Vickie said...

Aww. Sweet Annabell admiring Mama's work. :) Let that be your motivation!

Carolien said...

The sampler asks for a wow indeed! How beautiful it is. Happy stitching and have a nice weekend!

Bye, Carolien

Maggie said...

Wow indeed! the sampler is beautiful i hope you feel inspired to finish it soon.

Hazel said...

Your sampler is looking stunning. I did this one in 2003 and really went mad trying to get it finished. So worth the effort though as it is such a beauty. Love giraffes!!! x

Melissa said...

Wow, that is a magnificent sampler, Rowyn! Annabelle can recognize that too! I wonder if she will take to stitching one day! She's a cutie pie. I smile every time I see her.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Such a lot of lovely work already in your lovely sampler Rowyn, I'm not surprised that Annabelle was admiring it - such good taste:-)

Carol said...

That is so sweet that little Annabelle is already impressed with all those carefully stitched x's, Rowyn!! It really is a beautiful piece :)

Love the photo of you and the giraffe--I was a bit taken aback as your profile looks so much like mine back when I was your age. I saw the giraffes up close two years ago at our local zoo in a behind the scenes tour--what an experience :)

butterfly said...

Beautiful sampler, looks like your little one is keen to see your stitching .Great post thanks for sharing.

nikiad.blogspot.gr said...

Your cross stitch sampler is a real beauty !!!!!!!!

Anne said...

After such a lovely comment from your daughter I think you'll have all the motivation you need! Stunning sampler!!

Tammy said...

I would love to meet a giraffe! How beautiful they are! Your sampler is gorgeous-WOW indeed! And I've always been afraid to work on perf paper, but your ornie is so cute I may have give it a try!