Monday, May 05, 2014

Frosty Forest - part 5

I finished up part 5 of Frosty Forest yesterday. I can't wait until I have them all completed, this is such a cute series.



I've had a few questions about this series, so here are the details for curious minds -

I'm stitching this with the recommended threads and fabric. I'm on auto ship from Cynthia at Beach Cottage Stitchers (she charges actual postage, which is great if you live overseas!). The auto ship includes the fabric (first month only obviously), chart, DMC threads, specialty threads and the button. I think I might stop with the DMC threads for the final parts though as I am ending up with a DMC overload. Also, if you're thinking of stitching this I don't think you necessarily need the specialty threads. A lot of the variation in the cottages is actually two close shades of DMC used alternately.

I went with the recommended layout which I think I saw on the Country Cottage Needleworks Facebook page, but can also be found on Nikki's blog - here. I didn't deviate because (a) I'm not that imaginative (b) when I started I didn't know what the parts looked like.

The only change I wish I had made is stitching on fabric with a little bit of sparkle. While I dislike the cold of a frosty morning, I do love how pretty it can look as the sun comes up and glistens on the frost.

Well, a certain little lady has just woken up so I had better bust a move. Have a great week!

18 comments:

Barb said...

Frosty Forest is looking wonderful!!!

kiwirachfindinghome said...

That's looking really great Rowyn.

Jan Gartlan said...

It's such an adorable pattern

Chris said...

It looks great Rowyn! I have enjoyed watching this series. I like that little bit of sparkle too.

CJ said...

It looks fantastic.

CJ

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's a very neat design with lots of little details.

Melissa said...

It's looking wonderful!

Give your little sweet miss a hug for me! (I just smile every time I see her photo!)

Andrea said...

It looks wonderful.

Anne said...

It is an adorable series! Beautiful progress Rowyn!

Carol said...

A wonderful new block, Rowyn--the whole piece is so sweet :) Glad you're finding some stitching time when Annabelle naps!

Annette-California said...

So beautiful Rowyn! I was thinking - if you wish for sparkle in the fabric How about stitching a cross stitch here and there with a sparkle thread like Kreinik Blending Filament. I think that would look very pretty. When I stitched Gingerbread Village Street, I did just that and I used the sparkle thread after cross stitching the design. Hope this helps!
love Annette

valerie said...

Frosty Forest is looking great! I really like how this one is coming together and good for you for keeping up with the monthly installments!

butterfly said...

Oh Frosty Forest looks amazing ,hugs.

Karoline said...

It's looking gorgeous, great progress

Sally said...

It's looking gorgeous Rowyn. I'm still on the first one lol!

P.J. said...

Your village is coming together nicely! Thank you for joining my blog. I LOVE! love your growing tree; that is a beautiful project.

Barb said...

Your Frosty Forest is looking so good! And isn't Cyndi, from Beach Cottage Stitchers just the best?! She has been so helpful to me - great lady to work with and buy your stitching supplies!

Stitching Noni said...

Frosty Forest looks great. Fab progress :)
I know what you mean about the sparkle of a cold winter morning... I do like the idea of adding some metallic stitches or even some shiny little beads for sparkle :)
Hugs x