Thursday, November 08, 2012

Goodnight Miss Tiggy

I adopted Tiggy back in 2008. I had, had my eye on another rabbit - a black one with a curly coat, but it got rehomed before I made up my mind I definitely wanted to adopt another animal.

I had seen Tiggy - a white rabbit with black eyeliner, and a tilted head (this can be caused by strokes, stress or viruses) - and having a soft spot for animals and worthy causes decided wholeheartedly I needed to adopt this bunny!

I couldn't bring her home straight away as we needed a cage. So my DH built her a nice big run. (He still reminds me that what I thought would cost us $100 to build, ended up costing closer to a $1000).

Luckily DH was onto it quick smart, and adoption day soon arrived. As I left the animal rescue centre a gruff staff member said to me 'she'll only last six months'. Tiggy was busy scratching around in the carry cage, so I retorted 'well she seems pretty lively to me'.

I can't remember how long it took, but her head tilt soon disappeared and we got to know what she liked and what she didn't like. She loved sultanas and would eat them out of your hand, she loved the cat tunnel my sister gave her (she loved being in it, under it, running through it) and if she didn't like where you put it she would move it. She didn't like normal carrots, but loved baby ones. Spinach was out, but lawn/garden weeds, mesculin salad and silverbeet were all in. She didn't like lino or wooden floors and needed towels put down or she just wouldn't move. She didn't mind when the cats jumped in her house, and if she was indoors she would give them a bit of a dust up (although they were safe if they stayed away from the towels).

I spent a lot of time worrying about Tiggy - was she too hot, was she too cold, was she happy, was she bored, was she lonely, did she want/need a friend or would that upset her.... so I always tried to do what was best for her.

Eventually I adopted Cola. It took a little while for them to get to know one another - but they had good fun chasing one another around the cage and through the cat tunnel. They loved to snuggle and would fight as to whose nose went underneath (obviously warmer and more comfy) and whose nose went on top.

On the cold nights when I would bring them in to their indoor cage, they would do what I would call the 'hot cross bun'. Tiggy would lie stretched out and Cola would lie across her forming a cross shape. It was very cute!

I took great pleasure in the fact Tiggy had been written off as only having six months to live, but had continued on and on. I always knew she would pass away eventually, but it didn't occur to me that would be anytime soon.

So I was very sad and shocked to find my sweet little bunny had passed away on Monday afternoon. Now that the tears have started to dry, I realise more than ever that I'm so glad to have had her in my life.

Tiggy will always be my first bunny love and never forgotten.

I've got a Tiggy shaped hole in my heart <3

20 comments:

butterfly said...

That is such a sweet story, really touched my heart.
Tiggy was such a beautiful rabbit, hugs.

Annette-California said...

Oh Rowyn! Because of you & how beautifully you cared for Tiggy - I believe she got to live longer. Loved getting to read about her. Of all things - I had a rabbit come up my drive way and yes I did get photos. I have no clue who's pet, and he even came almost right up to me & he (or she) was black and white. Nope couldn't even catch him - but he was so happy.
Hugs to you - love Annette

Lee said...

All your love and care was the gift that gave Tiggy more years than was expected and although it is a sad moment when we find we have lost a loved pet however you have been left a wonderful gift bu you beloved pet the gift of wonderful memories hold onto them

Chris said...

I am so sorry that Tiggy is gone. She looks like she was so happy and that you gave her a wonderful home.
Hugs

stitcheranon said...

People do not realise how intelligent and social rabbits can be. They need a lot of room and a playmate or can be alone if you spend a lot of time with them or they are house bunnies. They shouldnt be kept with guinea pigs and shouldnt eat lettuce: it damages their kidneys. This post has probably taught more people about rabbits than a trip to the RSPCA. You gave Tiggy an amazing life..I can remember when I fostered four little boy bunnies and our hutch which had to have a minimum of 25 square feet plus some took up half the garden lol. I am so, so sorry for your loss but wow...what a life she had!

Siobhán said...

Awww, I'm so sorry. Big hugs.

Vickie said...

What a wonderful life you have given Tiggy. I am so sorry for your loss.♥

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Oh Rowyn, I'm so sorry to hear about Tiggy. It is so hard to lose a much loved pet and the only consolation is that you gave her a wonderful home with lots of love. Take care.

Sally said...

I am so sorry Rowyn. Our pets are such a huge part of our lives and it's always so hard when we lose them. Beautiful photos.

Melody said...

Sorry to read that your bunny died. It's hard to say goodbye to beloved pets. Just remember what a good life you gave your friend.

Kathy A. said...

I am so very sorry Rowyn. Sending warm hugs ((((((((((hugs))))))))

Carol said...

I'm so happy that Tiggy found a wonderful, loving home with you and your husband for the past four years, Rowyn... I know her death will leave a big hole in your heart. Sending a warm hug...

Catherine said...

Tiggy was very lucky to have found you. Your story is so sweet and I am very sorry for your loss.

Kathryn in NZ said...

xxooxx

StitchCat said...

I am sorry to hear about Tiggy, Rowyn.

Christine S said...

I'm so sorry about Tiggy. She was very lucky to have you!

Nicola said...

What can I say ..... our beloved pets are with us such a short time yet enrich our lives so much.

A BIG hug for you xxxx

Stitching Cat said...

So sorry for your loss! Such a touching story. Cherish your memories of Miss Tiggy!

Karoline said...

I'm sorry to hear about Tiggy {{{hugs}}}

Suzanne said...

I am sorry to hear about Tiggy, it's never easy to lose a beloved pet. {{hugs}}