Sunday, February 19, 2012

Museum samplers

DH and I were at Te Papa museum in Wellington today. I borrowed DH's phone so I could take some photos of their samplers to share with you.

They are not great photos as they are kept in relatively dark conditions and are set back quite far from the glass (I would so love a closer look!). But anwyay, here they are -

1. Jane Somerville, 1845 - a Scottish sampler

Jane Somerville 1845 ~ a Scottish sampler on display at Te Papa

2. Mary Adams 1842 - age 8
Mary Adams age 8 years 1842 - a sampler on display at Te Papa

3. Mary Adams 1846 - age 13
Mary Adams 1846 - a sampler on display at Te Papa

It was only when I was looking at the photos I realised two of the samplers were by the same person. Mary Adams was certainly a young stitcher!

I think the only other place I have seen a sampler on display was in Ballymena, Northern Ireland at their city museum. Unfortunately, I can't remember anything about it now!

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a museum dedicated entirely to samplers!? :-)

10 comments:

Kathy A. said...

They are beautiful Rowyn. I can't imagine stitching that young. I barely have enough time now lol.

KiwiRobbie said...

IN 2005, we were in St Davids, Wales, and came across a coffee shop by accident, that had samplers all over the walls, some of them quite old. They all looked gorgeous, and I wanted to take them all home! it was a fabulous idea and lovely to see them on display.

KiwiRobbie said...

PS, just did a search and here it is!

http://www.sampler-tearoom.co.uk/

karen

Nicola said...

I could look at old samplers all day. It is amazing what young girls could create.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I'm always amazed at what young stitchers accomplished all those years ago.

Sarah said...

Gorgeous, I'll have to look out for them next time I'm at Te Papa

pam said...

lovely-thanks for sharing!

Pumpkin said...

How exciting! TFS Rowyn :o)

Chris said...

Thanks for sharing these Rowyn!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for sharing these sampler photos.