Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Making hay while the sun shines!

I recently won a prize on Sanae's blog. The prize was some Japanese needles, and she included a skein of Waterlilies thread as a surprise. It was so much fun to receive a parcel from Japan. Thank you Sanae! :-)

Fun mail from Japan

This weekend just past was a long weekend. So, on Sunday we took a boat ride to Matiu/Somes Island. Now I drive past this island in the middle of Wellington Harbour twice a day... and I had never actually visited. So a group of us jumped on the ferry and enjoyed a couple of hours discovering it. What a fantastic little island. The day was very grey, but it was very warm.

The only way to get there is to take the ferry...

On the way to Somes Island...  my first time ever, and I see it almost every day

There are some nice vistas, but I'm sure they'd look much better on a blue sky day. (We haven't seen one of those since Christmas!!).

Looking towards the exit to Wellington Harbour

On arrival at the island you have to go through biosecurity. It sounds extreme, but it is so species... like this Tuatara who my DH spotted sitting under a tree... can thrive.

Tuatara... Ronnie spotted this guy sitting on th bank next to the path... awesome!

The next day we decided to climb Mt Kaukau. It offers 360 degree views of Wellington, the Hutt Valley, Makara, the South Island and Porirua. It was quite a hike, but the sun came out and the views were definitely worth it!

This is Wellington Harbour. Somes Island is visible on the left, just above the tree line.

Wellington harbour from Mt Kaukau

This is the view out to Makara, with the South Island in the distance.

Looking out over Makara and towards the South Island from Mt Kaukau

Tonight I'm putting my feet up after two days of lots of walking, and plan to stitch until bedtime. I have been making progress on my sampler, but I don't want to bore you with too many updates.

14 comments:

Nicola said...

You live in such a beautiful country and I look forward to your posts to share a little bit of it. Please keep them coming.

You don't bore me with stitching updates.

What did biosecurity involve ?

Kathryn in NZ said...

Love the tuatara!

Vicky said...

You make me homesick!

Marlene said...

It's your national day today, have a good day xx, love the photo's

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You live in the most beautiful country Rowyn.

Chris said...

I love your pics Rowyn. You live in such a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing your country with me.
Congratulations on some lovely mail :)

Vickie Niggemann said...

BEAUTIFUL :)

Carol said...

How nice that you finally were able to visit the little island... Looks like a lovely way to spend a weekend :)

And what a sweet surprise from Sanae!

Sarah said...

Beautiful photos! Sounds like you had a great Waitangi weekend

Melissa said...

Thanks for the lovely photos. I definitely want to visit NZ one day!

Lovely package from Japan. I especially love those stamps!

Pumpkin said...

Congrats on your win Rowyn!

Wow! Looks and sounds like a fantastic day. TFS :o)

Sally said...

Congratulations on your win!

You are surrounded by such beautiful scenery.

Anne said...

Gorgeous photos!! How I dream to visit NZ one day!! Lovely win from Sanae!! Those needles are adorable!!!

Suzanne said...

What a great prize you won! Love the scenery photos, what a beautiful place.