Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Weeds Make Haste

Yay, I now have my second finish for 2012. It is Weeds Make Haste by Shakespeares Peddler. I love how this one turned out.

Weeds Make Haste finish (Shakespeares Peddler)

I am not quite sure what I will stitch next. I think some new stash is in order, but in the meantime I might pick another WIP/UFO and aim for finish no. 3 of 2012.

Yesterday marked the last day of my DH's Christmas/summer holidays so we decided to do something we both love to do. We climbed the hill at Makara to take in the view. It is quite a climb, but the views from the top make it very worthwhile.

You start off by walking around the coast. That in itself is a pleasant walk with some lovely scenery...

Makara

Then it is uphill through farmland and long grass, and along some dirt paths with not much separating you from a long downhill fall at times.

Makara

Once you near the top you have to climb over a stile. Then we usually walk a little further uphill to the highest of the three World War II gun emplacements. There we like to sit and dangle our feet over the edge, catch our breath, have a drink and admire the views.

Looking north in the distance are Mana and Kapiti Islands (you can just see them on the horizon, one in front of the other).

Makara looking towards Mana and Kapiti Islands

Looking south is the aptly named South Island. There really isn't much distance between the North and South Islands. You can also see one of the gun emplacements. They were never used, as New Zealand was never invaded. However, it always pays to be prepared :-) DH and I sat there for about an hour taking in the view and chatting. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Gun emplacement at Makara, with the South Island in the distance

I caught one of our nocturnal garden visitors on camera the other night, so thought I would share. It is a possum. Unfortunately, they are a pest in New Zealand (they come from Australia originally) - but are quite nice creatures in their own right (cute and intelligent).

My Mum had one in her garden years ago which used to hang upside down and eat the seed out of one of her bird feeders. It was funny to watch.

Our night time visitor (a possum)

I think I'll go through my stash now and see if I can find something that takes my fancy. Hope you're having a great week and getting lots of stitching in.

25 comments:

Kathy A. said...

That is a very lovely finish Rowyn.

Your scenery photos are absolutely stunning. What a wonderful view to have.

Happiest of New Years.

Stitching By A Cornish Sea Shore said...

A really gorgeous finish. I particularly like the garden theme as I love my own garden so much.

I have enjoyed your series of photos from your walk and the possum. It is so nice to "journey" around the world via blogs.

We always intended to spend a few months in Austrailia and New Zealand when we retired but unfortunately now that my husband is retired he is unable to fly due to medical reasons.

We have a nephew who lives on the North Island. He visited whilst travelling and settled there.

Looking forward to more posts of your beautiful stitching and life.

Christine said...

Great finish, Rowyn! It's such a true sentiment, lol. It looks like you and your DH had a fabulous hike!

Gabi said...

Second finish already? Wow, that's really fast. And it's a very beautiful one at that too.
Love your pictures of Makara. It's so beautiful. The possum is cute too. Although when we see one here it's cute. At your place it's a tad different story. I was shocked to learn how destructive they are in NZ to the wild life.

Catherine's Sewing Corner said...

Well done on your finish. It looks lovely. The pictures from your walk are breathtaking aqnd your little visitor looks so cute. Have a nice day
x catherine

gracie said...

Thanks for taking me along on the walk...I ws not tired at all!
Very pretty Weeds finish. As for the critter, they can be very nasty little buggers...

Sonda in OR said...

What a lovely finish and the views from your hike are amazing!

Chris said...

Beautiful finish Rowyn!
What an amazing day out you had. It is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics.
That possum looks different than the ones we have :)

pam said...

Amazing views you are enjoying. Amazingly fast stitching as well. Love #2.

mainely stitching said...

Possums are one of those creatures I've always been curious about, but never seen IRL. Your picture looks so different than the illustrations I've seen! Thank you for sharing. :)

Catherine said...

Love the finish and photos! Your possum looks a bit different than the ones I see where I live!

Nicola said...

That's such a lovely finish Rowyn. Loved seeing your scenic photos.

Carol said...

Oh, you're torturing us in the northern hemisphere with those gorgeous photos, Rowyn! It was only 10 degrees F here this morning!!

Lovely 2nd finish of the year--congratulations :)

Andrea said...

Congratulations on a lovely finish. Wow what views.

Pumpkin said...

Congratulations Rowyn! It turned out beautiful and again, I love the color of the fabric :o)

LOL! That's quite the visitor you had ;o)

Bronwyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bronwyn said...

Love the finish and the NZ views.
We have a possum living in our Melbourne garden. He lives in a bottle brush shrub

Sally said...

Love, love, love your Weeds Make Haste finish. I'm hoping to start it within the next month or so.

Wow your photos from your walk are beautiful! Makes me want to visit NZ even more.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely photos Rowyn, that coastal walk is just beautiful - the water is a gorgeous shade of blue.

Aussie Stitcher said...

Love the Weeds Make Haste finish, it looks wonderful. The scenery is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

It's beautiful! Congrats!

Kath said...

Nice part of the world there, I know the area. On a clear day.....

Lovely stitching and those possums, little devils can make a hugh amount of mess to everything.

Karoline said...

Great finish Rowyn, congratulations

Lovely photo's of your walk

Siobhan said...

Congratulations on the finish! I love the scenery pictures--it is spectacular! I listened to a podcast recently--I love the Stuff You Missed in History Class podcasts from howstuffworks.com--and they did one on a battle in NZ that dealt with the Maoris. It was really interesting--though of course I don't remember enough to say the names, other than Maori--and that was because the hosts didn't know how to properly say Maori!! They were promptly corrected later! LOL

Suzanne said...

What a very pretty finish! Such beautiful scenery photos.