Saturday, January 21, 2012

O hai!

I've been uploading photos to my online album tonight, so thought I would also stop in here and share some for those who have enjoyed my garden and New Zealand photos lately.

I'm really enjoying my wildflower gardens. Overall the look doesn't sit too well with me (it seems so 'messy') - but the individual flowers are stunning! There are still plenty of flowers which have not yet made an appearance, but that could be due to the lack of regular sunshine this summer. It seems to come in fits and spurts. Anyway, here's a wee summer garden mosaic.

My summer garden

Everyday from my kitchen and bedroom windows I can see Mt Climie. A week ago DH and I decided that Saturday (today) we would climb it. What fun! Even though it was two hours to get to the top and uphill all the way (the walk is described as strenuous), we knew we would get some great views that would make the huffing and puffing worth it.

From the top we could look out to the coast and see Mana Island on the Kapiti Coast (the smaller of the two islands which were in my recent post about the walk at Makara), Wellington city and harbour, and Lake Ferry in the Wairarapa. Unfortunately, the cloud rolled in (the day had started off without a cloud in the sky) and got a little hazy as it was warm so I couldn't capture those things well in photos, but it certainly gave us a birds eye view of a massive land area!

This is a photo looking over Whitemans Valley and Upper Hutt in the distance -

Mt Climie

This is my DH on the gliding ramp, and the furthest point you can access on the ridgeline. We sat here and had our lunch and took in the view.

Mt Climie

This is pretty Whiteman's Valley - a rural area with lots of farms and lifestyle blocks.

Mt Climie

Once you get to the summit you can walk along the ridgeline. Just when you think there are no more uphill bits, bam! You're hit with one. Still there would have been no point going to the top if we didn't go as far along as possible. The gliding ramp was at the top of the peak you can see on the right. The flora at the summit is quite different than lower down, as it is sub-alpine up there.

Mt Climie

Finally, I thought I would share a photo of my niece Phoebe and I. It had been a few weeks since I had seen her, so I bought her a book and dropped it in to her on my way home last night. She loves stories, and I ended up reading her three.

We had some great conversations yesterday. I thought I'd tell you about one, as for not even being three years old yet (she'll be 3 in April) she's a clever cookie.

She said to me "you've got your work shoes on". I'm like "yes, I had to go to work today". "Why?" she asked. "I had to go and earn some money". And quick as a flash she said "to buy me presents". LOL.

Me and the chatterbox

It is a 3 day weekend for us and it's supposed to rain for the next two days, so I hope to be back with a stitching update tomorrow. I'm still working on Growing Like a Tree and have made progress. Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

13 comments:

Catherine's Sewing Corner said...

Your photos are fantastic and the flowers are so colourful. That looks a lovely view from the top. have a nice weekend
x catherine

Chris said...

Nothing gets by Miss Phoebe :)
What an amazing hike you had. Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful pics. You live in a beautiful place.

Catherine said...

Wow! That hike looks amazing!! What a great picture of you and Phoebe!! So cute! And clever!!

gracie said...

Thanks for taking me along on the hike. A sweet picture of you and Phoebe.

Melissa said...

That's a lovely photo of the two of you! Kids say the cutest things!

Thanks for sharing the lovely scenic photos!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely photos Rowyn, the flowers are so colourful - you can see I'm suffering from winter blues - everything is so grey and dull at the moment.

Christine said...

Wonderful photos as always, Rowyn! The photo of you and Phoebe is adorable...both such lovely ladies!

valerie said...

Great photos! The flowers are lovely and the views outstanding. Cute picture of you and Phoebe. Her sweater is so cute! I need to find an adult version!

Nicola said...

I enjoyed your photos. You certainly have a good eye with a camera.

You live in a beautiful country and I am so glad that you share it with your pin pals.

Phoebe is adorable.

Wishing you a good weekend.

Pumpkin said...

Great pictures Rowyn!

Phoebe is such a beautiful girl! Smart too ;o) LOL!

Carol said...

What a treasure the photo of you and Miss Phoebe is, Rowyn. You are both such lovely girls :)

And no wonder--living in that gorgeous country of yours I'm sure everyone is smiling and happy all the time!!

Sally said...

Your photos are just beautiful Rowyn. Such gorgeous scenery.

Lovely photo of you and Phoebe:)

Suzanne said...

I love the photo of the two of you. Great photos of your day walking, that's some spectacular scenery.