Saturday, July 02, 2011

Another stitchy post!

Sandra let me know she has received my exchange for her. This is a Little House Needleworks chart which was in an old issue of the Gift of Stitching. I went for a more basic finish with this pillow as I was having sewing machine issues. (A change of needle seemed to help things along though).

Exchange for Sandra in Wales

I am feeling very spoilt today. My DH bought me a beautiful eternity ring for my upcoming birthday. He told me he had been thinking about it for a while and had been doing a bit of research about when to get them etc. I love that so much thought has gone into it. So we went out and I managed to find a diamond and emerald dazzler in the first store we visited. I'll be wearing it on the opposite hand to my wedding and engagement rings, as my engagement ring was bought in an antique shop in Northern Ireland and is quite an unusual shape - so hard to get rings that sit up against it nicely.

For those of you who want to share - do you wear an eternity ring? If so, how long had you been married when you got yours and what prompted your DH to get it at that time (anniversary? first baby)? And is it a traditional eternity ring consisting of a continuous line of diamonds - or non-traditional like mine?

It's a little chilly here again, so the fire is going well and I'm about to get my stitching out. Enjoy whatever you are doing this weekend.

Happy Canada day and happy 4th of July to my Canadian and American friends!

14 comments:

Carol R said...

Pretty pin pillow Rowan.
As for rings I don't even wear a wedding ring despite being married for over 45 years! There is a good reason though, this being my numerous hand surgeries so my engagement ring, my wedding ring and eternity rings sit in my jewellery box. I do however wear a Cartier Love Bangle which I cannot take off - it's fitted together with tiny screws and came with a tiny gold screwdriver!
Have a lovely weekend.

Gabi said...

Gorgeous stitching and finishing.
Fantastic gift you got. Would love to see a pic of that.
And no, I don't wear an eternity ring. I wear on one hand my wedding band plus engagement ring...on the other hand a ring that was given to me by my mother.

Lee said...

How sweet! Both the stitching and the ring! I wear an eternity ring because I lost my wedding band. My mom gave my my great grandmothers wedding band, but it's too big so I wear it on my thumb and the eternity ring on my ring finger.

Denise said...

Congrats on your birthday present! DH did well! Cute pillow - love the bees.

I don't wear a traditional wedding band. Had the guard to my engagement ring made into another ring and wear it on my index finger on left hand. I have a three stone eternity ring that I got at 13 years and a 7 stone anniversary ring that I got at 7 years. I wear those some mostly special occasions.

Chris said...

Hi Rowyn,
The pin pillow looks so sweet, what a great finish.
It sounds like your DH is wonderful.

Thanks for the 4th of July wishes :)

Kathy A. said...

What a lovely thing for your DH to do Rowyn. It is nice that he put so much thought into it!

Crossed Yarns said...

Happy Upcoming Birthday, Rowyn. Love the darling pillow you stitched :-)

Siobhan said...

What a beautiful exchange piece!

Now, you need to show us that sparkler! We got engaged in Ireland in the 80s when everybody, including us, were dirt poor. I'll just put it this way... when I got back to the US, a friend asked me if my engagement ring was a friendship ring--the diamond is more of a chip. LOL I didn't want a new engagement ring because no matter its size, I love it for the sentiment of it. Instead, my wedding ring is really an eternity band--five stones across, three rubies & two diamonds. Sometimes I wear a claddagh ring, from my husband, with it. DH says he'll get me another ring at some point but I'm sure he's forgotten that! You're lucky that your husband put so much thought into your gift!

Karoline said...

The exchanges are all gorgeous, congratulations to you all.

Barb said...

Very pretty pillow. Great exchange gift you made her.

Pumpkin said...

That pillow is gorgeous!!!! I don't remember that pattern and will have to look it up. Do you remember which issue it was in?

Your DH sounds like a keeper ;o) Nope, no eternity ring here. Never heard of them before. I expect something good for our 20th anniversary though. LOL!

Teresa said...

Beautiful pin pillow.
When we were married 4 years I got an eternity ring. It shortly after my daughter was born. We now have 2kids and have been married 30 years this summer.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Aussie Stitcher said...

Love the pin pillow. As for an eternity ring, DH says that we haven't been married for an eternity yet, but after 11 years it sure feels like an eternity LOL. So needless to say I am still waiting....

Rainy Day Crafter said...

What a lovely pillow - the bees on it are so sweet! And happy birthday for when it comes round :)