Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weekend update

Do the seasons affect your stitching? I find myself stitching more in the winter time. Maybe it is because the evenings seem longer when it gets dark earlier.

I've pulled out my Moira Blackburn sampler and have been loving stitching on it. I had to go back to using an embroidery hoop due to the size of this piece, something I haven't done in a long time. There was too much fabric flapping about stitching in hand (which I prefer to do) and boy my Q-snaps were starting to feel very heavy. What is your preferred method?

Growing Like a Tree ~ Moira Blackburn sampler WIP

I haven't quite decided what to do with the empty space on my Elizabeth piece in my previous post, so no photo of that yet.

However, here's a small finish I can share with you. This is an exchange FAIL. I sewed it up and then realised the ribbon hanger was well off centre. There was no way I could send this out. It's not stuffed yet, as I haven't decided whether I'll unpick it or leave it as is yet.

Spot of Spring - The Drawn Thread

Ann commented that Giggsy looked very serious in my last post. Indeed he did, but moments later he revealed his true self...

Make me a star Mum....

I hope you are having a lovely weekend, wherever in the world you might be.

11 comments:

Gabi said...

Moira is looking stunning. LOVE it.
How I stitch? I use for smaller pieces a hoop and larger pieces I sew on scroll rods, which I put in my floor frame. I don't like q-snaps, they feel too thick in my hand.
That piece isn't a fail, it's way too beautiful to be a fail.

Maggie said...

Your Moira B peice is looking so lovely!
I haven't stitched in hand for years, there is no way i can stitch now without using a magnifiyer so i always use a plastic snap frame the i can clip my magnifiyer to it - it does get a bit heavy to hold sometimes though i agree - smaller stitching i use a hoop (and a smaller magnifiyer!).

Carol said...

I also stitch more in the winter, too, Rowyn (hence, my lack of many posts lately!!). Your Moira Blackburn is wonderful! It's funny because I just dragged out a small hoop to use on my latest project and I almost always stitch in hand. It's not a big piece, but is stitched on 40 ct.--not sure if that is why I need to use it or not.

I think your little piece is so sweet--love all the springy elements to it. Hope you can re-center the ribbon easily :)

Enjoy your weekend--I am bidding farewell to my youngest son so it is going to be a sad one for me :(

Pam said...

Moira is looking great!! I stitch with a hoop, too. It was how I learned to stitch and I guess I'm too old (at the ripe old age of 41) and set in my ways to change now. If it's something small I will stitch in hand.

I hope that you will be able to center the hanger on the ornamen that you made. It really is too cute to be put away.

Chris said...

Hi Rowyn,
Your Moira Backburn Sampler is looking great. I always stitch in hand. When I first started stitching I got a lecture about using hoops by one of the people in my stitching group and then just learned to stitch in hand. That's when I didn't know what over two meant. LOL.
The ornament looks great. It shouldn't be hard to reset the hanger. The best class that I ever took was a class where I learned to do some finishing. I don't sew so my options are limited.
I hope you have a good weekend.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely Moira B. sampler - I've never stitched one. The pose made me smile - so typical of a cat. I stitch on Siesta frames as they are so light Rowyn. Can you buy them in New Zealand - if not let me know and I'll send you a few to try.

Theresa said...

Your Moira is beautiful!!!!!!
I do find myself quilt more in the winter, maybe it's because the quilt keeps me warm when I work on them~~
Your cat is so cute~~~

mollycaff said...

Your Moira Blackburn piece looks amazing, I'll have to take a closer look at this designer I think. I definitely stitch more in the winter too. I usually stitch in hand, but occasionally use Qsnaps with a stand, depending on the size of the project

Nicola said...

Your MB sampler is looking fabulous! I always stitch with a hoop or frame, keeps my tension even.

Suzanne said...

Your sampler is looking so pretty. I usually use my Q-snaps, but from time to time I will also just stitch in hand.

Lovely little pillow, but sorry to read about the hanger problem. It shouldn't be too hard to fix though.

Pumpkin said...

Moira is beautiful! I prefer my Q-Snaps :o)

That happens! I'm sure you can fix it quite easily.

What a sweet picture. LOL!