Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just hanging around

I don't have any stitching to share. I have worked a little more on Curly Q Ewe, but there's not enough progress to warrant a photo.

I took an annual leave day today, and I'm currently just hanging around waiting for my 3pm doctors appointment. So I thought I'd share with you something we did on the weekend. My sister and I took her friend's daughter and my nephew to the zoo for a close up encounter with Red Pandas. It was raining, but it was still a lot of fun and a great experience. They climbed on our laps, took food from our hands and generally just left us in awe at their cuteness!

Red Panda mosaic

A funny story to share... while we were waiting for our meeting with the Red Pandas, we took a stroll and were looking at the chimpanzees in their indoor enclosure. There was one very large male standing on the roof of the entry way for the zoo keepers. It started banging on the roof, and I thought he was trying to get the attention of the two keepers who were standing underneath chatting. The male chimpanzee then started banging louder with both hands and getting quite vocal, it seemed to be getting quite agitated. Next thing it launches itself off the roof and comes flying through the air directly towards us. It grabbed some ropes to break the fall and then banged on the window at us. It is odd - we were all terrified, but none of us actually moved! Then we noticed the zoo keepers had disappeared - I reckon they went away to wet themselves laughing. Our faces must have been a picture!

As we walked away my 12 year old nephew (who is quite small for his age) said to me 'it is just as well that glass was there, or I would have taken that chimp down'. LOL. Quite the comedian.

Thanks for all your get well wishes for Tess. Unfortunately, due to the stress of being sick it has made her cat flu return. She had it very badly last year, and apparently stress can cause a recurrence of it (even though she's vaccinated and already on antibiotics). So maybe in a week she'll be back to 100%. She's currently perched behind me on the couch making snuffly noises in my ear!

Oh well, enough gas bagging. I should go and do something productive!

Hope your week is going great!

14 comments:

Kathy said...

The photos of the red pandas are fabulous. They are so cute. Funny story about the chimps. I'm sure it was a bit scary though. :)

Pumpkin said...

How neat! That must have been so much fun :o) Loved your chimp story. LOL! I probably would have wet 'my' pants...

I hope Tess gets better soon.

Christine said...

What great photos! It looks like a wonderful time.

Hope your kitty feels better soon.

Blu said...

Great photos! Looks like a really fun time.

Carol said...

What an experience, Rowyn! I love the red panda photos--have never seen one before. Is that their fully grown size?

I do hope Tess fully recovers very soon--that must have been very scary last week... Please give her a cuddle for me :)

Kathy A. said...

I never knew there were red pandas - how cool is that!
Sounds like you had a very fun time.
Did you really list your WIP's. I'd be so afraid too! ROFL

Ann at Beadlework. said...

You are so lucky being able to get up close to the pandas. At Edinburgh Zoo they are in an enclosure so you only see them from a distance. I hope little Tess picks up soon, poor wee lamb.

Maggie said...

Those red pandas are just so cute! i didn't even know there was such a thing as a red panda.
Chimps can be quite agressive, the ones at our local zoo stand and through poo at the watchng public yuk!

Hope Tess is feeling better soon, poor thing.

Suzanne said...

What a great experience with the Red Pandas. These are my favourite animals at the zoo.

What a funny story. We had a similar experience with some baboons at the Melbourne Zoo, some silly teenage boys were stirring them up and we made a quick move before the baboons started throwing things at the boys.

Siobhan said...

That is so funny about the chimps! I think I would have totally messed my pants if that happened, LOL. You know the glass is there, but still--yikes!! The pandas are so cute!

Michelle said...

The Red Pandas are so cute!

Stitching Noni said...

Hi Rowyn, what gorgeous photos of the family and the red pandas. Looks like it was a lovely day out.

Hope Tess is feeling much better now. Our boys both had cat flu when they were only 10 weeks old and the vet warned us that stress will bring it on again.... even though they have been vaccinated. It's horrible when they're not well, isn't it? Hope she is much improved :-)

Thank you for visiting my blog - look forward to seeing more of your stitching and catching up on the news!

http://firefliescatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/

Rhona said...

Oooooo, I'm so jealous! Red Pandas are my all time favourite animal. Can't believe you got to be so close to them - what a wonderful experience!

StitchCat said...

Awesome photos - we will have to go for a trip together to the zoo or Zealandia :)