Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mad rush

My sister-in-law was visiting on Sunday afternoon and commented on all the cross stitch ornaments on my Christmas tree. She seemed quite taken with them.

Sooo... not long after she went home I got busy, found a design, stitched it up and made it into an ornament for her Christmas tree. I am going to give it to her tomorrow night when we catch up to do a tiki tour around my city's Christmas lights.

It is JBW Designs 'Star' from the 2010 JCS ornament magazine. I used the thread 'Turkish Red' by Weeks Dye Works which the lovely Cheryl gifted to me in our recent exchange.

One last Christmas ornament for the year

My sewing skills still need a lot of practice (especially the hand stitching)... but I've had so much fun making ornaments, I'll probably continue and hopefully practice will make perfect.

Thank you for all your comments which you have left recently. It's nice to receive your encouragement and to know there are so many like-minded souls out there who gain so much pleasure from fabric and thread :-)

Hope you are enjoying the festive season. Not too many sleeps until Santa now! :-)

I am working on a non-Christmas design which I'm getting close to finishing, so I'm sure I'll be back soon.

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

Lovely! I really like this design, i just started stitching it last night...hopefully finish it in time for Christmas :-)

stitcheranon said...

Lovely! I think it is a great finish: home made stuff is meant to look home made. It is well known that this increases its value rofl...and it is something I have had to accept being a bit of a perfectionist myself but now love making things and have stopped putting myself under 'perfection pressure'.

It is a fantastic ornie and I am sure it will be much loved xxxx
Happy Christmas!

mainely stitching said...

Aren't you productive! That's lovely!!

Catherine said...

Lovely job! I'm sure she will love it! I know I would!

valerie said...

Cute ornie Rowyn! I learned a couple of tricks in my sewing class a couple of years ago...blind stitch to close the opening and making little cuts in the seam allowance (not all the way to the seam) to allow the seam to relax enough during the turning. It's helped. Now if I could just figure out cording...I know how to make it...it's the attaching that is hard. lol

TammyK said...

Very cute ornament as are the ones in the posts below this one. I'm sure your sis in law will love it :)

Pumpkin said...

Well done Rowyn! I know your SIL will love it :o)

Ann in Scotland. said...

At risk of sounding really silly,can I ask - what is a tiki tour - I've never heard of this before.

Carol said...

Oh, I do love that little star ornament, Rowyn... Isn't ornament making fun? I just love it and I love the quick "fix" you get from finishing each one :)

Merry, merry Christmas--hope you get lots of time with Miss Phoebe!

Farm Girl said...

Gorgeous Rowyn, I still have hopes of getting that wee cutie stitched before Christmas - 3 sleeps to go - Yippee!

Andrea said...

A lovely ornament.

Have a very Happy Christmas!

Siobhan said...

What a great ornament! It sounds like it'll be very much appreciated, too!

Happy Christmas!

Suzanne said...

Lovely finishing on all those ornaments!

Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous new year.