Saturday, August 07, 2010

Sewing

My family bought me a sewing machine for my birthday 3 years ago and it is hardly used. This often makes me feel bad, so I bought this book last week with some birthday money from my Mum and Dad. It has a good range of easy to more difficult projects.

So last night DH headed out for a drink, my sister came around with her sewing machine and we made a bird each. (Mine still needs eyes). Far from perfect, but I learnt quite a bit more about my machine through having my sister here (her machine and mine are identical).

A little bird I made from this book I bought with some birthday money... I'll never be a sewer

My sister stayed the night and we searched the internet for something else to make this morning. We came across these little chickens (found here) and after a few glitches managed to get these done this afternoon.

My sister and I made these chickens with our rarely used sewing machines

Another thing I learnt this weekend is that I am a stitcher, and it is unlikely I will ever be a sewer!

11 comments:

Little Kiwi Chick said...

Hi Rowyn!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the lovely comment you left! You know, I think I recognise your blog - I browsed it a long time ago, before I had a blog of my own, so didn't comment as I didn't want to be one of those 'anonymous' comment people! I am glad to have 'found' it again (or you found me, one or the other! :o)

I am enjoying looking at all your lovely stitching projects and the photos of NZ scenery! Cute kittens, too!

Jennifer

Margaret said...

Your sewing projects are so cute! I hear you on the stitching versus sewing. Sewing can be a once in a while thing, right? :D Glad you had fun with your sister.

Cheryl said...

Ooooh i like Cath Kidston. Cute little chickens!!! You did a great job.
I always see little sewing projects that i'd like to try but like you, im more of a stitcher :)

MyLifesAStitch said...

Aww, they are so cute! And those chicks came out great!

Sewing is definitely not "easy", but I think you should stick with it! You did really really well for only attempting a few things, and only a few hours' experience! It isn't too too hard, and the results are "sew" fun. :)

Have a wonderful week!

valerie said...

I'm definitely a stitcher and not a sewer too! Love the chicks though...they are cute!

valerie said...

I'm definitely a stitcher and not a sewer too! Love the chicks though...they are cute!

Carol said...

I'm not much of a sewer either, Rowyn--used to be way back in high school (before you were born!!). But, now I get anxious when I have to sew a simple straight line when sewing up one of my ornaments.

I think your little chicks are very cute and you know the more you practice the better things will turn out... (And at least you don't have a 36 year old machine like I do!!)

Karoline said...

I have that book too...great sewing projects

Brigitte said...

The two little chicken are so cute. And I'm sure the book that you show holds some great patterns.

Pumpkin said...

ROFL! It just takes a little practice ;o) I think your chickens are adorable.

Suzanne said...

I don't have a great relationship with my machine as well. I think I am better and hand sewing than machine stitching. I don't use my machine as much as I should either. Love the chickens. Thanks for the link, I think I will have to give them as a go as well.