Sunday, January 24, 2010

Settling in to our new house

We our loving our new house on the outskirts of town. We have been here just over a week.

The house is very homely. There is a stream at the bottom of our section (at some stage we hope to build steps down to it), and lots of native bush. It is mostly peaceful. We have folding doors which open out onto a deck, which is wonderful (we missed having indoor/outdoor flow) and a vegetable garden to look after (it has peas, carrots, tomatoes, spring onions etc in it!)

There are Moreporks (native owls) which call after dark (their call sounds like 'more pork' which is how they got their English name), and there is a bird which sings a very sweet tune in the mornings when I get up for work. I have never heard it before, and am very intrigued to find out what it is. I guess living on the outskirts of town has it's perks for nature lovers.

My cats have settled in well. Petal is still a little freaked out but will hopefully stop jumping at every sound soon.

This is a pic of Tess in the new garden. She was originally a stray, which I think is responsible for a lot of her personality traits (such as settling in quickly, jumping on the dinner table etc).



The house is pretty much in order, although we still have lots of boxes to unpack. Correction - I have lots of boxes to unpack. They are all labelled 'Craft Room'. lol

I haven't done any stitching this week, but I do have some progress I can share in my next post.

P.S. If you have my old address please discard it :-) Feel free to let me know if you would like the new one at all.

18 comments:

Lee said...

Pleased to hear you are settled in. What part of NZ are you living at.

lovestitches said...

We have moreporks here too and I love them, they sound so haunting.

Lois said...

Good to hear you've moved and are settling in so well in your new home. I would dread packing up all my stitching stuff I know it would run to boxes and boxes!!

Carol said...

No wonder you haven't been doing any stitching all week, Rowyn! Your new home sounds lovely and I see that Miss Tess is already checking out her new territory. I just adore all black cats and miss my dear Shadow cat so much...

Glad your craft supplies didn't get lost in the move :) And I wish you every happiness in your new place!

Daffycat said...

Welcome home! The garden looks lovely and Tess looks like she is enjoying it!

Melissa said...

Even reading your post, I can sense that feeling of calm and quiet at your new house. The photos of it looks lovely. I love the name of that owl!

Welcome to your new nest!

Pumpkin said...

This is so great to hear :o) Your back yard looks absolutely lovely!

mainely stitching said...

Yes Rowyn, I'd like your new address. Hey, congrats on your move! I'll hopefully also be unpacking lots of craft boxes next month - our shipment should arrive and I have missed my stash so much! LOL!!

mollycaff said...

I'm glad your move went well and you are all settling in. Tess looks like she totally belongs in that garden lol. Good luck with the rest of your unpacking.

Kathy A. said...

Glad to hear the move has gone smoothly and you are settling into your new home.
Lovely garden.
Please send me your new address.

Kit said...

Congratulations on the new house. I'm glad to hear that you are all settleing in well. Tess is lovely, as is the Moira Blackburn sampler - great progress.

Siobhan said...

Glad to hear that you're getting settled in & unpacked! Here's wishing you many happy years in your new home.

Diane said...

Thank you for visiting my blog and your lovely comment.

I hope the unpacking goes quickly and smoothly so that you can spend your free time stitching. Your finishes are stunning.

Crazee4books said...

Hi Rowyn,

Glad to hear that all is well and
the move went smoothly. You must
be a pro at it by now.

Your backyard looks (and sounds)
lovely. I am gazing longingly at
the rich greens of grass and tree,
and the little dots of color that
are flowers. Sigh! I remember
flowers. Tess looks quite at
home perched on the deck railing.

Will you put up bird feeders or
do you prefer not to because of
the cats? I must look up a
picture of the "Moreporks" owl
to see what they look like. So
your owls don't give a hoot
(sorry, I couldn't resist) when
they make their calls? I
love owls. I wonder what your
morning mystery bird is.

Could I have your new address
please? Just email it to me
whenever you have a moment.

Have fun setting up your new
stitching room.

Cheers!

Lennu said...

Congratulations on your new home, it sounds peaceful and wonderful! I hope that Petal will also settle in completely soon.

Wow, I've never heard of Moreporks and I had to take a look at Wikipedia :) What a funny name for an owl! But then again, I think that New Zealand flora and fauna are among the most special ones in the world. I'd so much love to visit your country one day. My daughter just came here too and when I told her about Moreporks, she said "Let's move to New Zealand!" :)

Suzanne said...

I am glad to hear that you are happy in your new home.

MyLifesAStitch said...

Congratulations on your new home!

StitchCat said...

Great to hear you are all settling in so well. We've just come back from camping for a week in Marlborough, and waking up to birdsong is devine. I heard a few bird calls I have never heard before. It certainly is a great feeling. Glad the cats have settled in :)