Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Some stitching...

I am almost finished with Souvenir de France, the freebie from Blackbird Designs. I was very eager to start this, and the only neutral coloured fabric I could find was not big enough, so I decided to stitch it over one to MAKE it fit!

I quite like how it is turning out, and the over one hasn't been at all tedious. I am using leftover Bali Hai thread from my Quaker Friendship RR, and I am stitching it on Apple Blossom fabric from Countrystitch.

Pictured is a little plastic Eiffel Tower I brought back my Grandmother from my trip to Paris in 1999. She passed away unexpectedly while I was living in Northern Ireland in 2001, and somehow when I returned to NZ the Eiffel Tower ended up back with me. I think it's nice she kept a frivolous piece of plastic from her Grandaughter! :-) I will probably attach it to the finished piece for safekeeping.



Some more stash arrived today - Mrs Darcy from The Sampler Girl. It is a pattern and piecework kit (you get the pattern and the backing fabric). I can't wait to get started on this.



Thank you to everyone who left me advice on beading for Sparkling Shamrocks. I will let you know how I get on once I start the beading.

Hope your week is off to a great start.

13 comments:

Sam said...

Souvenir de France is beautiful Rowyn! I'm sure your Grandmother would have appreciated it too :o)

loulee said...

I love that blue thread. Yummy.
It's strange what some people keep, the tower must have been very dear to your grandmother.

Kathy A. said...

Hi hon. Nice work on Eiffel Tower. Love the threads you are using. Isn't it nice that your grandmother kept something so insignificant to others but precious to her. She must have loved you a lot.

Wendy said...

Your souvenir de France is really looking nice! Great job!

Tammy said...

Souvenir de France is really cute. Love those blues :o)

Kit said...

Souvenir de France looks so good, and how wonderful that the Eiffle tower came back to you. It is such a touching story.

Suzanne said...

Souvenir de France is lovely and will certainly be a lovely reminder of your Grandmother with that little charm.

I love these little kits from the Sampler Girl, but I have to remain a little restrained.

Beatrice said...

Oh My over one that is just beautiful. I love the colour you chose. That will be a lovely keepsake to remember your grandmother.

Siobhan said...

Your Souvenir is turning out so pretty! That's neat that your grandmother kept the little Eiffel Tower. It's a nice tangible memory. :) Love the new stash!

The Scarlett House said...

You have lived in such wonderful places, Rowyn. I am curious as to where you were born? I always thought you were a native to NZ.

Cindy F. said...

Love your finish and the story about the charm. What a treasure:)
Can't wait to see Mrs. Darcy started!!

Pumpkin said...

How lovely Rowyn and what a wonderful memory to go with this!

I saw those on Mary Kathryn's site. They look like beautiful kits.

Brigitte said...

This freebie is adorable and I love it stitched with your blue threads. And over one - brave!