Thursday, May 01, 2008

Dance of the Bumblebee

I so love how this turned out. I stitched it with the recommended threads (a mixture of WDW and GAST) on 28 count Apple Blossom Lugana from Countrystitch. I am not sure how I will finish it yet.



I passed my driving test on Tuesday. Yay! I'm fully licensed now. The lady testing officer said she wished they were all like me - I got 100% in Parts 1 and 2, and there were just two small things in Part 3.

Last Sunday we went to the
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary. I highly recommend it to my local (or holidaying in NZ) readers - it's not a zoo and I didn't expect to see anything more than on any other bush walk (of which there are many in NZ). Boy was I mistaken - we saw tuatara, skinks, geckos, loads of beautiful native birds and wetas.

Wetas strike fear into many people, not because they can harm you but because they're not very pretty (I remember my older sister going into some bushes to retrieve a ball when we were kids and coming out screaming blue murder because there was one on her back LOL).

I never knew there were cave wetas. So OH, BIL and I donned some hard hats and ventured into the darkness - I was actually glad that we didn't manage to locate any - I think I would have freaked!!! You can see a photo here if you are brave.... I made OH do a hoodie check when we came out, I wouldn't have wanted to have realised later I had one of those hiding in my sweatshirt!

OH and I are going to become members and go far more regularly, and of course support a fantastic cause.

Hang in there folks, tomorrow is Friday. YAY!

22 comments:

Nicki said...

Lovely stitching :)

The sanctuary sounds great. We had a small(ish) weta lived by our front door when we were in Auckland. Not too scary :)

Vonna said...

CONGRATS on passing your driving test!!! HURRAY! And I love the bumblebee...I forgot about this cute guy...I need to stitch him up too!

Barbara said...

Thank you for linking to the weta, rather than including the picture in your post ... I did look, but I had a chance to prepare myself first! LOL!

Congratulations on passing your driver's test! And I love your bumblebee finish. :D

Aussie Stitcher said...

Congratulations on passing your driving test. Your bumblebee is gorgeous and so is Bunnykins.

Carol said...

Love your bumblebee - he is so cute!

Lennu said...

Congratulations on passing the driving test!! Your bumblebee is so cute :) Oh I think I just love NZ fauna, it's so special and I'd love to visit your country one day.

Karoline said...

Congratulations on passing your driving test and the bumble bee is very cute

Sandra Ree said...

lol I love how happy the bee looks.

Kathy said...

Awwww taht is just sooo cute, and love the bunny rabbit too.

Hugs xxxxxx

Erica said...

Congratulations on passing your driving test! I'm sure that's quite a load off your mind!
I love the little bee!
I hadn't seen that one before!
Erica

Hazel said...

Urghh yukk it looks like a giant cockroach grasshopper!! Congrats on passing your test. xx

Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Ohh, your bumblebee is adorable!

Beatrice said...

Congrats on passing the test to drive..Yippee ! Good for you.
I love that little Bee.

~Tammy said...

Such a cute design.

Congrats on passing your driving test.

Sonda in OR said...

The bumblebee almost looks like he's dancing in celebration of your passing the test! Congrats! The weta doesn't look so scary...

June said...

CONGRATULATIONS on passing your driving test - that's great news!! :D

The bumblebee is very pretty! What a fun design.

I clicked on the weta link and found out that although I may think I'm brave, the opposite is in fact true. Nearly had a heart attack - I hate bugs! Eeeeeew!!!!

Pumpkin said...

Congrats! Great finish :o)

OMG! Wetas are like a HUGE grasshopper! Eeeeek!

monique said...

Cute finish!

Lelia said...

This is really cute!!! Congrats on passing your test.

Carol R said...

Cute bumblebee.
Congrats on passing your test.
Never heard of wetas before - thanks for the link - not as creepy as I was expecting but saying that I do not want to meet one lol

Kathy A. said...

Woohoo!!! Had every faith you would pass your drivers test. Your little bee is just the cutest

Yuko said...

Very lovely bee!
As seeing yours, I feel like stitching this series, Bee & Lady Bug for my son! :D