Saturday, September 01, 2007

Close your eyes Kiwi readers

what I'm about to write might be highly offensive... I LOVE AUSTRALIA! LOL. It was such a fantastic holiday, that we are already thinking about our next trip (maybe an outback adventure).

An Australian winter sure beats a New Zealand one... the weather was fantastic, even reaching 32 degrees Celsius!

The scenery and the wildlife are the most memorable parts of the trip. I got to cuddle a koala, hold a crocodile and pet a whole lot of kangaroos and wallabies. I have a whole new appreciation for snakes, crocodiles and other less cuddly Australian animals.

Australia Zoo deserves a huge mention. If you are ever near Brisbane it is well worth the entrance fee!

We had an amazing journey on the Skyrail in Cairns. It's a gondola/cable car which glides over the rainforest treetops for 7.5 kilometres - you can look down at the amazing view of the Cairns coast, as well as see cockatoos and Ulysses butterflies flying beneath you - there's even a waterfall to admire. You end up at a small village called Kuranda where you can cuddle koalas, go shopping, walk amongst the butterflies etc. Absolutely awesome.

The shopping in Australia was excellent and we picked up some fantastic souvenirs. We even managed to find a cross stitch shop - so I bought 5 kits (as you do) all of Aussie animals.

It was a tiring holiday - we were busy every day and up with the parrots (who would start well before the sun came up). If any Aussie readers could tell me which bird makes a noise that sounds like someone screaming, I'd be intrigued to know! :0)

More photos of my holiday can be found in my Webshots for those who are interested.

16 comments:

Nicki said...

LOVE that photo! :)

Leena said...

I looked through all your photos, they are wonderful! I just loved the animal photos with koalas and kangaroos :) I think Australia is such a beautiful country, but I'm sure New Zealand is too :) I'd love to visit both of them one day.

Ju said...

Rowyn, we Aussies are thrilled that you love our country but....the grass is greener in NZ (pardon the pun) and I do not think you have a water problem like we do.

Jenn said...

Rowyn, I think what you were hearing was a Kookaburra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kookaburra). Your photos are beautiful. thanks for sharing.

Karin said...

Wow - it looks like you had a fantastic holiday! I loved Australia too, although NZ was also a favourite.

Kathryn in NZ said...

Welcome back! Glad you had such a fab time :)

Von said...

So glad you had a wonderful vacation, Rowyn!! A vacation down under is definitely on my list of "want to dos". :)

Clare said...

The skyrail trip from Kuranda to Cairns is awesome - I made it in 2005 when I visited my sister. Did you have a balloon flight too? That was an experience I will NEVER forget.

ollie1976 said...

Great pictures-glad that you had a great time.
-Jen

Name: Vicki said...

Your trip sounds wonderful! The picture of the waterfall was beautiful! Glad you're back!

Hazel said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. xx

Tannia said...

What? Only one needlework shop? So glad you enjoyed your holiday...try and get further down south when next you visit :)

I'd be happy to do a needleworks hop crawl with you :) Yep - I'm an enabler of the worst kind!

stitching aussie style said...

So pleased you enjoyed your holiday in Aussie land. Your photos are fantastic and asking me to go north for a holiday.

Gill said...

The sulphur crested cockatoo sounds like it's screaming half the time...

Aussie Stitcher said...

So glad that you had a great time. Great photos.

AnneS said...

I'm only just starting to catch up on my blog reading from the last couple of months! Just wanted to say I loved your Aussie photos, and glad to hear you had such a great time. I have to say as a Kiwi living over here, I love the country and lifestyle over here - and especially the amazing wildlife. I think the 'screaming' bird you're thinking of could be the sulphur crested cockatoo as Gill suggested - the first time I heard one flying over the top of my old flat I was quite startled, and I still can never believe the total racket they make when they're flying around! Look forward to seeing where you decide to head to next :)