Wednesday, April 25, 2007

ANZAC Day

Today is ANZAC Day, where Australia and New Zealand remember our war dead. It is a day off work but always quite a sombre one.

Here is a (very bad) photo of my Long Dog sampler (click photo for a clearer view). I am over half way now, and am loving how this is turning out.



I've been reading up a bit about Monarch butterflies, and I think I've incorrectly referred to this as a cacoon... when it is actually a chrysalis. I read that as they get closer to emerging the chrysalis changes colour, so I checked on mine today and it has gone quite a bit darker. When I look closely I can see patterns reminiscent of wings (check out the second photo)... oh how I would love to know what's going on in there and how it all takes place.





To finish off, here's a photo of my big fella Giggsy. He doesn't know how to use the cat door, so he's enjoying being inside for an afternoon snooze.

14 comments:

Juls said...

Love the sampler and pix of nature!

Cheryl said...

Your sampler is beautiful. I find those caterpillars fascinating, great pictures!

Carol said...

Oh Rowyn! Thanks for posting your LDS update! It is so stunning!!!!! Yay ANZAC Day -enjoy your day off!!

Itching To Stitch said...

Oh my, that Long Dog Sampler is just beautiful. The colors are wonderful and such nice stitching ;)

Tannia said...

That is looking great Rowyn :) I've not seen one that far along yet - you will probably be the first stitcher I "know" to finish it :)

Lisa said...

Great progress on LDS :-)

Barbara said...

We have 'doodsherdenkingsdag', also a day to remember the war-dead, coming up. I remember going around to the cemetaries with my grandmother when I was a kid on Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

The updates on Monarch caterpillars, butterflies, and in-betweens is fascinating! Thanks.

I think Giggsy probably can use the cat door, but chose to lounge around. He just has that look about him. ;) LOL!

Aussie Stitcher said...

Your LDS is looking wonderful. Great photos of the chrysalis and caterpillars.

Karoline said...

Your sampler is looking gorgeous, great progress. Gigsy looks very comfy there

ollie1976 said...

Giggsy's adorable

Karin said...

Happy ANZAC day - your sampler is coming along nicely!

Nicole and Phil said...

I enjoyed looking at all your lovely stitching.
the caterpillar/butterfly photos are fabulous. my children are fascinated with them!

Hazel said...

I really like that Long dog! I can't wait to see that chrysalis open up and reveal itself lol! Your cat is ever so cute. Just like my Scratchy! xx

Leena said...

Your sampler looks wonderful! I love reading your blog, you have so many beautiful photos. Giggsy is so cute!