Saturday, March 24, 2007

A new Kiwi, and new friends in my garden

Yay, my OH received confirmation today that his New Zealand citizenship has been approved. We'll be advised of a date for the official ceremony later on. We both now have dual-nationality (NZ and British), so we're a couple of happy little campers. It just means he has more freedom, doesn't have to keep paying for re-entry permits every few years etc. It perfectly tops off a great couple of weeks we've been having.

Today we had lunch at a garden centre, followed by a wee wander. I just could not go past the Swan plants... and bought one home with seven caterpillars on it. Don't worry if you're not familiar with Swan plants - the caterpillars are supposed to be there! They will, hopefully, munch their way through most of the plant and turn in to beautiful Monarch butterflies (which are declining in numbers in New Zealand, if recent reports are anything to go by).





After reading up on Monarch butterflies some people keep the plants indoors to maximise their chances of survival. This could be an interesting indoor 'hobby' (for want of a better word), and I'm already thinking about some kind of indoor enclosure to keep the cats away from them.

Here are another couple of photos from my garden. This is simply known as the 'New Zealand Flax'. Some of ours didn't flower this year, which I presume was down to the late arrival of summer.



This is a Toitoi, a flax like plant with sharp leaves (hence it's other name 'cutty grass'). Although it is a huge New Zealand icon, it is in actual fact a South American plant.



I placed an order this week for a whole bunch of threads from the States (WDW, GAST and Crescent Colours) - I can't wait for them to arrive! They're all for charts I already have. I feel another order coming on soon (love the new Blackbird Loose Feathers design 'Their Song')... but in future I am going to buy charts and the required threads together. I've had charts lying around for a couple of years that I've been meaning to order threads for (since they're not so easily obtainable and more expensive in NZ).

Well must dash, we've got visitors arriving in 20 minutes for a BBQ - and here I am on the net! :0) Hope you're all having a great weekend!

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Hey, congrats on the dual citizenship! I wish the US would allow that... The Netherlands are seriously considering it, which will at least be a big benefit to our kids (who under current law, have to choose one country or the other at 18).

You've got me all excited about monarch catepillars! I tried (again) to sweeten my DH up to the idea of a pet iguana (I had them before I was married) but catepillars aren't quite as intimidating... LOL!

Name: Vicki said...

Your mystery sampler is looking great! You have really done a wonderful job!! It is so weird to hear you talk about summer ending; we just had the first day of spring! It is so beautiful and warm outside today! I'm glad things are going so good for you and OH! Have a happy day!

Hazel said...

Congrats on your citizenship! I am seriously thinkin gabout joining Blackbirds Loose feathers club. I think their designs are really nice.
xx

Carol said...

Congratulations to your OH! What great garden photos!

Hazel said...

Can I just say your little cat looks just like mine. I will be posting a pic of her soon - check out the resemblance.

Katrina said...

congrats to your OH :) Great photos too.

StitchCat said...

I love your photos. I always enjoy watching caterpillars...it always amazes me how they never stop eating. We had a lot of little black and orange caterpillars (cinnibar moth)(similar to the furry ragwort caterpillars) on the groundsel, and they ate heaps. The moths are lovely too.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! Ive enjoyed visiting yours and will stop by again!

Lizzy said...

Congrats to your OH, Rowyn! :-) Your Swan plant and catepillars are amazing...

And your Mystery Sampler is gorgeous! :-) Hope your threads arrive soon! My BB Their Song should be here the first of the week... What are you starting next? ;-)

kelly said...

hi! just so you know, thats not toetoe in your photo, its pampas grass!!! Pampas is from south africa and the real toetoe is only native to NZ. You can tell the difference because pampas has those erect flowerheads like in your photo and toetoe flowers are more droopy and flower later in spring.