Saturday, March 11, 2006

Stitching??

I think I can recall what stitching is... it seems like ages since I did any. It's been busy down here which isn't condusive with stitching.

Last weekend I went to a house warming/fancy dress party. The theme was 'A Little Bit Country', so I went as a wool bale. It is amazing what you can do with a sack, a cardboard box, a wig and some polyester stuffing. I thought it was a hoot of an idea, but felt like a bit of a plonker once people I didn't know started arriving.

I didn't feel as silly as the time I went to a work fancy dress party mind you. The theme that night was western. Doofus here decided she wanted to go as a cactus, and along with my two very creative sisters we came up with a cactus outfit made out of green furry material and pipe cleaners. It was a great outfit, but everyone else looked really tame so I felt really embarassed! But guess what? Later in the night two other cacti turned up. LOL.

We've also been finishing off our holiday plans this week. I can't believe how fast this year is going... our holiday is going to be here in no time, and probably over in no time too. It has been three and a half years since I've been overseas, so I'm very, very excited... especially about going to Cyprus. We're flying out of Dublin for this trip, so it will be the first time my OH has set foot in the south... he's not looking forward to it. LOL I'm hoping that once he's done it for the first time, that we might actually venture back over the border to see what the Republic of Ireland has to offer.

My Mum has been in hospital this week, so I've spent a couple of evenings in visiting. She has arthritis in her feet and had an operation to straighten up the bones (she should be pain free and back to near-enough-normal in a few months), so she's going to be out of action for a while. She has a cast on one leg and a huge bandage on the other. Just as well she's a stitcher and that it wasn't her hands she had arthritis in! :-)

I'm still going great guns with my driving. This week I started driving home from work so I've had to tackle the motorway. Kiwi drivers are really helping me improve my driving skills and testing my reflexes, because they are so very terrible. My new pet peeve is drivers who speed up and overtake you at the end of the merging lane... it's so horribly dangerous and scarey. I hope I never become a road menace.

I'll finish up on a stitchy note... this month's Rainbow Club arrived from Country Stitch earlier in the week. It is called 'Wintergreen'. I have a project in mind for it... it is a Pollyanna Pickering chart of a Dormouse which appears in one of my magazines. But I'll have to take another look at the chart to see if it is likely to look OK.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy weekend.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Hi, just had to comment re Cyprus, I'm sure you will love it. I'm staying in Nicosia for a few months for my work, and I have to say it is one of the best places I've ever lived. Sun, great food and the nicest people you could hope to meet.

AnneS said...

I'm soooo behind on blog reading yet again ... I was about to say that Ally is an ex-Kiwi living and working in Cyprus at the moment, and that you should get in contact ... and here she is commenting! Yay! I loved my brief week's stay in Cyprus, and would definitely go back again. And I agree with you with NZ drivers - I reckon if you can drive in NZ (especially Auckland!), you can drive anywhere!! LOL.